Thursday 5 June 2014

How does a Glow stick work

What I think now. (Before we start)
I think that different chemicals get released when it breaks and then they mix together it makes it glow.

What I think now. (After hearing other's ideas)
I think that there are 2 different chemicals inside the tube with glass separating them and when the glass breaks the 2 chemicals get mixed together making a chemical reaction.

What I think now. (after seeing Miss C cut open the tube)
Same as what I thought. Second paragraph.

What I think after researching. 
Glow stick are made up of 2 sections a plastic casing and a glass vial. In side the outer plastic case is a mix of fluorescent dye and hydrogen peroxide. Inside the glass tube is phenyl oxalate. This reaction is called chemiluminescence.

Synthesis is the process of going from not knowing much to knowing quite a lot about the topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment